The diet of tortoises living in the home, determined by its form:
1.The main feature of these reptiles is the ability to learn not only vegetable but also animal feed.
IMPORTANT! Most of the land reptiles refers to herbivores, but even the omnivorous types, the main part of the diet is based on plant foods.
The plant food
Of vegetable food land turtles can be given:
- Grass. Reptiles need at least 80% of the green plants in the diet. It is possible to feed fresh lawn grass, herbs (dill, parsley), wild herbs (clover, Thistle, plantain) and room (aloe, succulents) plants.
- Vegetables. Vegetable products should be 15% of the diet. Turtles like to eat pumpkin, squash, carrots, beets, cucumbers and different varieties of cabbage.
- Berries and fruits. Fruit-berry component have the remaining 5%, so peaches, plums, bananas, apples, pears, raspberries and strawberries are given in the form of treats. IMPORTANT! Soft fruits (banana) and small berries can be given as a whole, and more rigid and large fruits should be cut into pieces.
- Mushrooms. One of the days of the week food tortoises can vary by edible mushrooms (boletus, Russula, mushrooms).
- Meal. Extracted from the crop seeds in cooking oil. Feeding meals helps tortoises to Supplement the normal protein.
- Bran. Another useful protein Supplement produced their grain milled.
In late spring, summer and early autumn pet you can gather herbs directly on the street (dandelions, Timothy) or garden (leaves of peas and beans). Avoid areas near a road containing heavy metals and chemicals.
Winter pet, you can feed dried herbs frozen vegetables, with the remainder of the summer season.
IMPORTANT! Exotic sweet fruits should be offered only tropical species.
The whole complex of nutrients and vitamins home land turtle needs to obtain from plant food:
- proteins – mushrooms, meal, bran;
- vitamin a – carrots, turnip tops, greens beans;
- calcium green onions, nettle, cabbage;
- fiber – the soft hay, bran, pear.
IMPORTANT! The other important vitamins the turtle synthesize themselves with the help of the kidneys (vitamin C) and colon (vitamin K, Niacin, B12).
In herbivorous turtles when eating meat can cause diseases associated with the skeletal system. According to a research conducted on land, the reptiles, feeding the animals with food results in a gradual curvature of the shell. This phenomenon occurs due to the imbalance in the decay and the formation of the Horny substance.
Meat can feed only the Central Asian and other omnivorous turtles. Despite the presence of enzymes that break down animal food, even the Central Asian turtles need to be fed such food is not more a couple times a month.
IMPORTANT! If a land turtle in the wild not seen for catching fish or eating chicken, then don't force her to eat these products at home. Omnivores can feed on insects (earthworms, feed cockroaches), but only after the permission of Herpetology.
Artificial (industrial) food
In the home land turtle readily eats dry food. To build the entire power supply system is prohibited, as are all the necessary elements useful to obtain from natural foods. If the pet loves food – offer it as a treat. 1 times a week is enough.
Food for tortoises should not contain animal products, so be sure to check the composition before buying. Among the manufacturers prefer large and reliable brands:
- JBL. The American brand pick feed "JBL Agivert" and "JBL Herbil", consisting of grains, grasses and vegetables.
- Arcadia. Dry food manufacturer from the English ("Arcadia Herbi Mix") has the qualitative composition, stimulating the immune system of reptiles.
- Sera. German food is characterized by presence of fish, but "Sera Reptil Professional Herbivor" it is not.
IMPORTANT! If the opportunity to acquire one of the above feeds no buy "Bimbo tortila Fito", produced by the Russian company. Please note that other varieties of this brand contain fish and seafood.
- Plant food
- Vegetables. Under the ban gets the garlic, potatoes, radish, spinach, onion and corn. It is also forbidden to feed the turtle monotonous, using only one kind of product.
- Berries and fruits. Before serving, remove the citrus from the zest and don't forget to remove pits and seeds, the reptile choked and have not received cyanide poisoning. It is also not recommended to give dates.
- Ranunculaceae and Solanaceae plants containing toxic to turtles substances, and medicinal plants, which includes a group of diseases (lilies, mistletoe, canadian).
- Sprouted grains of wheat. A large amount of phosphorus can adversely affect the development of the turtles.
- Animal feed
- Meat, fish and seafood. Herbivorous Pets can not give any protein foods of animal origin. Their digestive tract is not adapted to such food, therefore, prolonged feeding of reptiles may refuse kidney.
- Insects. Omnivorous turtles animal protein you can eat, but feeding homemade cockroaches and poisonous insects is not acceptable.
- Chicken eggs. A large number of contained acids leads to flatulence, compressing the heart and lungs. The lack of diaphragm stopping to adjust the pressure, so the additional impact is on the kidneys.
- Finished feedintended for mammals or fish.
- Cereals. The exception is the Hercules without heat treatment. The turtles can eat it 1 time in a month after soaking in vegetable juice or plain water.
- Dairy products. The enzymes involved in the digestion of cheeses, cottage cheese and other dairy products, reptiles do not exist.
- Dishes, familiar to the person. Bakery and confectionery products, canned, smoked, braised and fried dishes, containing spices, for tortoises are not natural and dangerous.
- Plant food
Rules of feeding
When the content of reptiles at home, follow these guidelines:
- Avoid evening feeding. At this time the turtle is going to sleep, so its activity at zero. Active digestion takes place in the morning and afternoon, so choose a convenient time and feed the cat 1 time a day.
- Do not leave leftover food in the terrarium. Trampled turtles think the food is not edible, so remove uneaten food after half an hour after the start of feeding.
IMPORTANT! The rejection of the offered items is a common problem of the abuse of food and the excessive amount of food. Don't be afraid to reduce the dose or to arrange a fasting day.
- Calculate the size of a single serving, based on the size of the reptile. The daily rate must be within half the length of the turtle's shell, and 1 piece of food – half of her head.
- Do not use heat treatment. All food must be raw, and its temperature must correspond to room.
- Avoid monopatia. Essential nutrients will be obtained only by combining all of the allowed foods.
- At a snail's ability to recognize colors. The bright colors make mouth water not only humans. The dish will be eaten faster if you add yellow, orange or red notes.
- Do not feed the pet with it. Land turtles should eat from the feeders in the cage.
- Use the calcium powder for the strength of the shell. Additional vitamins can be obtained from alfalfa meal. IMPORTANT! Before buying pharmacy vitamins consult your veterinarian. Most human medications are toxic to reptiles.
- Observe seasonality. Some Pets can smell the change of vegetation periods, giving preference only to the seasonal products.
- Do not leave a water bowl inside the terrarium. The turtles quickly reversed it and make a mess. Don't worry about the dehydration. Major water reptiles get from food.
IMPORTANT! An additional source of water can serve the 10-minute baths held not more than 1 time a week. Make sure that the nostrils of a turtle above the water level.
Features feeding turtles and adults
Little turtles under 7 cm in length, needs to eat every day, and adults are saturated when feeding 2 or 3 times a week.
When feeding meal and bran, consider the size of pet:
- less than 5 cm – 0.2 g;
- 5-10 cm – 0,4 g;
- more 10 cm – 1G.
IMPORTANT! The little turtle needs to obtain 0.2 g of bran and the same quantity of meal. Protein supplements are given through the day.
About the menu for the week may look like the following:
|Day of the week||Type of feed|
|Young individuals (< 7 cm)||Adult individuals (> 7 cm)|
|Monday, Wednesday||purchased salads (Romano lettuce, iceberg), fresh, dried or frozen herbs (plantain, clover, dandelion)|
|Tuesday, Thursday||purchased salads (Romano lettuce, iceberg), fresh, dried or frozen herbs (plantain, clover, dandelion)||Fasting day|
|Friday||vegetables with tops (cucumbers, pumpkin, carrots, squash, dill), fruit (bananas, peaches, apples) and berries (strawberries, blueberries, strawberries)||Fasting day|
|Saturday||vegetables with tops (cucumbers, pumpkin, carrots, squash, dill), fruit (bananas, peaches, apples) and berries (strawberries, blueberries, strawberries)|
IMPORTANT! In addition to the main food in the diet should contain vitamins prescribed by a vet, and powder calcium.
Please note that the amount of food in a day without greens is determined by the time of the year:
- summer: 80% vegetables, 15% fruits and 5% of the berries;
- winter: 90% vegetables and 10% fruit (you can substitute edible plants: petunias, hibiscus, calendula).
Table of permitted and prohibited foods
With a list of allowed and prohibited products, please see more details on the sample table.
|Product||Can||It is possible in a small amount||Not|
|Grain and cereals||Hercules||All the remaining types of grains, germinated grains of wheat|
|Fruits and berries||Plum||Mango||Peel|
|Apricots||Papaya (for tropical species)||Pineapples|
|Grass and plants||Salad||Sorrel||Canadian|
|The leaves and stems of legumes||Dieffenbachia|
|Mother and stepmother||Narcissus|
|Seeds and nuts||Raw pumpkin seeds||Fruit and berry bone|
|Meat and offal||All types of meat and offal|
|Dairy products||Any dairy products|
|Fish||All types of fish and seafood|
|Insects||Earthworms||Pets and Madagascar cockroaches|
|Feed cockroaches or other insects recommended by the vet (for omnivores)||Maggots|
|The feed to mammals|
|Fried and stewed dishes, flavored with spices|