Turtles are known as the most unpretentious and not prone to diseases of Pets, especially compared to other Pets.The lack of food and vitamins weakens the immune system reptiles, and too low temperature in the terrarium and stimulates activity of the bacteria. There are three different types of the disease:
- Exudative damp pneumonia, also called the 1st stage, occurs in an acute form, often accompanied by a visible discharge from the nose and mouth, but may be without symptoms; with the rapid development of death may occur a few days;
- Purulent (dry) — often becomes a complication (the 2nd stage of disease), but sometimes it develops itself; the visible symptoms of pneumonia is also often lacking, the disease has a long development, the animal gradually markedly weaker, and lose weight;
- Mycotic — occurs in terrestrial species of turtles on the background of exhaustion, when the content in a room with high humidity; this type of disease difficult to effect of drug therapy.
Signs of pneumonia may occur in various combinations or not at all in the early stages of the disease.
Be sure to pay attention to the condition of the animal required under the following symptoms:
- lethargy, lack of activity, prolonged sleep;
- poor appetite or complete refusal of food;
- wheezing, whistling, and other sounds when breathing;
- discharge from the nose and mouth;
- shortness of breath, trying to breathe through an open mouth.
Pneumonia in the red-eared terrapins is determined by including the behavior in the water — the accumulation of mucus in the lungs cause the animal to adopt a skewed position, the tortoise often can not fully submerged. But these symptoms can also be symptoms of diseases of the gastrointestinal tract in which gas accumulation in the intestine cause distortion of the shell during swimming.
Pneumonia in turtles is often detected in later stages, so treatment at home is ineffective. It is best as soon as possible to go to the vet to do an x-ray and determine the extent of lung lesions. The doctor will conduct the necessary analyses and on their basis will select course of antibiotics.
IMPORTANT: you can't treat a tortoise the medicines on their own, especially in the absence of experience with reptiles. Common drugs for Pets in most cases, be deadly to turtles. This is explained by the significant difference of physiology — pathogenic to a warm-blooded bacteria are part of the normal microflora for reptiles.
Most often treatment prescribed antibiotic Baytril 2.5% or its equivalent Amikacin. Therapy with intramuscular injections — in front and rear legs or near the tail. Before injection, it is sufficient to wipe the skin clean with water — alcohol causes the reptiles of the burns, so its use is impossible. After the injection remove the needle to gently pressing on the skin to reduce pain. Then need to massage the injection site at least a minute — so the medicine will be absorbed faster.
Symptoms may disappear after the first injection, but should always finish the course of injections, prescribed by a veterinarian. If symptoms have not disappeared after 2-4 days, you need to assign a different drug. To cure a turtle from pneumonia will help additional procedures and measures to improve conditions of detention:
- to maintain the temperature in the terrarium at 28-32 degrees;
- regularly use the UV lamp;
- to exclude contamination of soil, water, more frequent cleaning;
- to improve nutrition, be sure to give vitamin feeding.
In the first days of treatment, the turtle may refuse food, so administered a solution of glucose 5% solution or ringer-Locke. Fluid injected with a needle into the area of the intestine where they are rapidly absorbed.
The treatment of pneumonia in tortoises is a identical therapy, but to replenish the fluids they need to arrange a warm bath infused with chamomile. To make the broth, 2 tablespoons of dried chamomile pour hot water, leave to infuse for half an hour. The resulting liquid diluted with warm water in the ratio 1: 3, then you need to put there pet for 30 minutes.
It is important to make sure the bath is not cooled — it is better to place it under a lamp or near a heater. After the procedure, pet wipe with a soft cloth or napkin, put in a warm terrarium. Regular baths eliminate the risk of dehydration and the antibacterial properties of chamomile can help the body fight infection. Water turtle decoction of chamomile can be added directly into the water of the terrarium.
Recovery from illness, prevention of complications
Successful treatment may take several weeks, but the recovery pet will last for months. To prevent a return of the disease, it is necessary to closely monitor the conditions of detention of turtles:
- the terrarium should match the size of the animal;
- the soil must be regularly replaced or washed, time to change the water;
- to install incandescent lamp, UV lamp, water heater;
- the terrarium should be placed away from draughts, sources of noise;
- in the summer you need to take the turtle in the sun (reptiles quickly overheat, so be sure to put the shaded shelter).
The main danger for the immune system represents an improper diet, malnutrition, vitamin deficiency. It is therefore important to use additional feeding, makes up for the lack of nutrients and vitamins. Compliance with all terms of the right content would strengthen the immunity of the pet, will help him to recover faster.
The signs of death
Often detect pneumonia is possible only at a late stage, when therapy no longer has an effective impact and the pet dies. To distinguish death from sleep is difficult, and to listen to the heart of a turtle through the shell need special tools. To determine the state of death will help the following characteristics:
- head and paws are drawn into the shell, and freely hanging down;
- pale, bluish color of mucous membranes — tongue, oral cavity;
- the absence of respiratory movements of the larynx with an open mouth;
- the lack of response century touch to the eye;
- the emergence of a peculiar smell if the death occurred more than a day ago.
Sometimes the disease progresses without symptoms, so the owners don't even know what he died of their favorite. To determine the signs of death from pneumonia looks like impossible, but a doctor can conduct an examination, x-rays to see whether the lung is affected.