Decorative rats are very loyal and emotional rodents, not inferior in intelligence and attachment to the host dogs and cats.What to do if You notice lumps in rats? You need to take the animal to a specialist for further diagnosis and timely treatment.
What are tumors in fancy rats
A tumor is an abnormal growth of abnormal tissue in the body. Tumors in rodents can affect any tissue of the body. Tumor in domestic rats can be benign or malignant.
A benign tumor characterized by the presence of a connective tissue capsule separating the tumor from adjacent tissues. Due to this structure, this type of tumor is easily removed surgically. With the development of the tumor does not form metastases in other organs and not fused with the healthy tissue as cancer cells. The danger of benign tumors consists in a compression of the organs, with rapid growth, they reach fairly large sizes and are deprived of a rodent's ability to walk and eat. When it detects bumps on body preferably as soon as possible, to treat the rodent.
Malignant or cancerous tumour is characterized by rapid growth, formation of metastases in different organs and tissues and the ability to grow into healthy cells and regenerate them. Cancer in rats not subject to surgical treatment, a pet leave to live your life with proper care and feeding, or use euthanasia to relieve the pangs of an animal.
IMPORTANT!!! Benign tumors can be removed surgically, the cancer is not treated rodents!!!
Causes of cancer in fancy rats
As a result, many studies have identified the following causes of tumors in pet rats:
- use in the diet of pet high fat content of feeds and foods with dyes and preservatives;
- the lack of the necessary active exercise of the animal;
- genetic predisposition to cancer in females.
Where there may be tumor in rats
Most often, tumors in fancy rats are found in the age of two. Tumors can be localized in different areas of the body of a rodent:
Tumor of the breast
The appearance of breast tumors are genetically predisposed female rodents, although sometimes these tumors occur in males. Most often it is a fibroadenoma – a benign tumor located on the abdomen, armpits and groin of the animal in the region of the glands. The owner, often caressing the animal, says the tumor in the rat stomach at a very early stage of its occurrence. At home easily determined by the movable bumpy swelling, which can be soft and flat, or compacted in the growth of fibrous tissue. Lump under skin permeated the venous network, when the probe slips easily between the fingers, no swelling, and rigid fixation with subcutaneous fat. If the swelling is tightly fused with the surrounding tissues, chances of developing cancer in rodents. The nature of the neoplasm is confirmed only by histological examination.
Swelling in the neck
Frequently diagnosed tumor of the rat in the neck, which to the touch is defined as subcutaneous tubercle, easily rolls between the fingers or held tightly in the tissues.
A bump on the neck of the rodent may be an abscess, inflamed lymph node, a tumor, or a greatly enlarged thyroid gland. Differential diagnosis and nature of therapy should be conducted by a specialist in the conditions of veterinary clinics.
A tumor on the side
The tumor from rat on the side occurs when the lesion is in the lung or the abdominal cavity. A bump on the side often of large size, it is possible to probe the bump on the leg. In such cases, about cancer in rodents show striking symptoms are: lethargy, bleeding from the mouth, vagina, urethra and anus.
The tumor under the paw
Sometimes you can detect a rat tumor under the foot. Lump under the paw is inflamed lymph node, lump or tumor of the breast.
The swelling under the tail
The tumor in rats under the tail indicates the tumor on the skin and the subcutaneous tissue, which felt like solid bumps on the genitals of animals. Preferably they need to remove the females have frequent relapses.
The tumor on his cheek
The tumor may appear on the cheek at the pet, in this case, the owner notices that the rat was swollen cheek. Often the animal becomes aggressive. In the place where swollen cheeks, can supinates subcutaneous solid ball or bone tumor, most often it is cancer, squamous carcinoma cells, are not amenable to surgical treatment.
Quite often in animals reveal a benign tumor in the brain, which is manifested neurological symptoms: the animal loses its coordination, the rat lies with tense outstretched front and back curved back legs, the joints are stiff. Such tumor inoperable.
A tumor of bone
Rats are also prone to malignant bone tumors — osteosarcoma. Tumors are localized on the bones of the limbs, skull and ribs, as a result of increasing pet loses the motor activity. The owner can probe a characteristic thickening in the bone tissue.
That should be alerted
Attentive owner must be alert and take the pet to a veterinary clinic for early treatment when the following symptoms:
- soft flat lumps or hard lumpy growths on the body of the animal;
- lethargy, loss of appetite and weight, exhaustion;
- the animal does not play, tries to hide;
- hair disheveled, there are pockets of balding;
- the skin loses its elasticity, appear the sores;
- increase or decrease acts of defecation and urination;
- bleeding from the mouth, urethra, vagina and anus;
- mucous membranes are gray in color.
Final diagnosis is made by a veterinarian after a General examination of the animal, laboratory studies, General and biochemical blood analysis, the nature of the tumor is determined histologically.
Treatment of neoplastic disease
Treatment of cancer in fancy rats is surgical method. A conservative approach using immunostimulant and hormonal medicines which depress the growth of tumors does not guarantee a favorable outcome.
Not operation is used when cancerous lesions of the tissues with the formation of multiple metastases, tumors in the brain, a strong depletion of the animal, the age of 3-4 years, the presence of concomitant serious diseases, in such cases, the prognosis is questionable or unfavorable.
The outcome of the operation and the possibility of recurrence depend on the stage of the formation of knots and timeliness of surgical treatment. Small tumor formation in the early stages quite easily removed, the prognosis is cautious or supportive. It is impossible to prevent the emergence of a benign tumor to an enormous size and exhaustion of the animal. Often the pet is doing multiple operations with repeated detections of tumors.
IMPORTANT!!! The earlier the tumor is discovered and treated, the better the chances of recovery and prolongation of life home rats!
How is the procedure performed to remove the tumor
The operational treatment is carried out in several stages:
- Before the surgery, the specialist assesses the General condition of the rodent, the size, nature and localization of tumors, studies of urine and blood, is assigned x-ray to exclude abscesses in the lungs and systemic chronic diseases;
- Surgical removal of tumor is performed under a veterinary specialist in veterinary clinics for anesthesia using General anesthesia and analgesic drugs before the introduction of anesthesia are injected medications that support the heart and respiratory organs during the operation;
- Subcutaneous small tumors specialist cuts the skin and subcutaneous tissue at a sufficient distance from the tumor, excised with a scalpel infected tissue, the tumor is removed with the vascular pedicle and the adjacent healthy tissue, there is an obligatory ligation of the vessels feeding the tumor. In the case of extensive lesions mammary, salivary glands or internal organs occurs wide excision of tissue and partial removal of gland or parts of the affected organ and muscle along with the tumor, and greatly enlarged lymph nodes;
- The wound is sewn up in two stages, the peritoneum and subcutaneous tissue is sutured with absorbable special threads, the skin sewn with silk thread, at the bottom of the wound, leaving a drainage for the outflow of exudate.
In the first two hours after surgery the animal possible vomiting, involuntary urination and defecation, loss of coordination and aggressiveness due to pain shock. At this time, it is important to provide a change of bedding and rodent access to clean drinking water. The first three days after the use of anesthesia from the diet of decorative rats are excluded dairy products.
Post-therapy pet performed at home with careful observation of the host rodent. The first day shows warmer, for this purpose you can use the bottle with warm water. The owner must not allow "raspisanie" of stitches, you can use the special or improvised collar. On the recommendation of the expert host your own at home or in the clinic carries out treatment of the wound with antiseptic solutions and impose bandage with anti-inflammatory ointments. Control of postoperative wound healing and removal of stitches is carried out only by a veterinarian.
The prevention of cancer in rats
To prevent tumor formation in rodents in several ways:
- The pet diet should be varied and low in calories, with reduced fat content, which have a carcinogenic effect. You must eliminate the consumption of animal products containing dyes and preservatives;
- If possible, try to purchase a pet from respectable breeders dedicated in breeding the selection of individuals resistant to the development of cancer;
- At home is better to have males, they are less vulnerable to the emergence of various tumors.
Carefully inspect your home of rodents, the first manifestations of deadly disease do not waste time, show pet professionals for early diagnosis and timely treatment. In your power to save the animal and prolong its life.