Soon after buying a new pet is often the question arises how to wash a Guinea pig.Sebum pigs tends easy to clean — the owners often notice that their furry Pets have almost no smell or a pleasant smell of hay. Therefore, usually additional to bathe Guinea pigs in water is not required.
But to this rule there are several exceptions that must be taken into consideration:
- the density and length of wool, particularly in breeds bred with decorative purposes, often does not allow the animal to fully care for themselves;
- fur can get dirty in the juice of fruits and berries, and if the pig is not accustomed to the tray, and in the feces;
- close cell or infrequent cleaning will certainly lead to the contamination of wool.
The accumulation of dirt and sebum causes the multiplication of harmful microorganisms. This can cause inflammation and irritation of the skin, weakening of immunity, the animal may become seriously ill. Therefore, in all cases when the pet can not cope with the grooming, it is recommended to help him with bathing.
Another reason for taking a bath can be exhausting summer heat. If the house temperature is above 25-30 degrees, to the animal in his thick warm fur coat will be very hard. In this case, contact with water will bring him relief. Therefore, it is possible to wash the animal or just wet the hair, if a full bathing is not required.
IMPORTANT: you must Also remember that the negative side of the wash is a high risk of getting hypothermia. Thick wet wool dries slowly, so the Guinea pig can catch a cold.
If you decide to redeem the pet, make sure that the room temperature is high enough, not less than 18 degrees. Recommended treatments only in the warm time of the year.
If I love Guinea pigs to swim
In nature Guinea pigs in search of food often travels the streams and other water obstacles, so swimming ability is innate. The procedure itself swimming won't bring the animal harm and the risk of drowning is eliminated. But a special love for the water these rodents do not feel, and perceive the contact as a stressful situation, often water treatments even panic them.
IMPORTANT: If the pet shows signs of severe anxiety and escapes during bathing, it is better to stop the procedure.
Sometimes you don't have to wash Guinea pigs in the water, fur and paws can be cleaned with wet wipes unscented, also good dipped in warm soapy water cloth. But this a less stressful exit only suitable for short-haired breeds.
Fortunately, not all pigs are afraid of water, the animals often show concern only for the first time, reacting to an unfamiliar situation. Most it is possible to calm, stroking and talking gently while bathing. Treat favorite treat also usually helps the pig to come to terms with bathing procedures. Some Pets love to bathe and Express their joy on this occasion of purring and whistling.
How often can you wash a Guinea pig
The owners of furry rodents often wonder — how many times a month to properly bathe your pet? This is especially true of long haired breeds that are in the plan of care depend entirely on the person. But for cleaning long hair is often rather regular combing, you can use dry shampoo as needed.
Regular washing is not helpful even if the rodent loves to swim. Water and soap dry the delicate skin of the pig, so frequent bathing may lead to skin diseases. It is recommended to wash the animal once a month in summer and once in two to three months in other seasons.
How to bathe a Guinea pig at home
Bathing Guinea pigs should occur in a warm room, protected from draughts. This is normally a bathroom. Maybe you should try to accustom the animal to new items — bring it to the bathroom, let's take a look around, open the faucet so he is used to the sound of water. These visits follow a treat and stroking. The procedure of washing to perform better in several stages:
- Pour into a bowl or basin a sufficient amount of warm water. The level should be no higher than 3 cm — so that the pig could stand on the bottom, holding the face above the surface.
- If this is the first swim on the bottom of the tank it is better to put a towel — resistant surface that is non-slip grip feet to reduce stress pig.
- Pet must be calm before the procedure. Contact with water should not be a surprise to him and stress. So for a while, hold him in your arms, stroke your hair, whenever possible let me explore and sniff the prepared bath and shampoo.
- If you have multiple Guinea pigs, wash them only separately, so you will be able to fully control the process.
- Carefully place the pet in the water, holding his hand and stroking. It is possible at this point to offer the animal a tasty slice.
- Give the pet a few minutes to get comfortable and make sure nothing terrible happens. If the animal is beginning to look and move around, you can proceed to the next stage.
- Gently holding the pig poured it with water until wet all the fur. Try to avoid getting water in the ears, nose and eyes — the hair on the head can get wet, just stroking her wet fingers.
- Apply a little shampoo to the back of the animal and start to gently RUB and spread the foam on the body. Head soap is not necessary — the pig itself will wash my face, when will freshen up after a swim.
- Rinse with shampoo — it can keep the pig under a gentle stream of warm water. Make sure the coat is thoroughly rinsed — dried-out residue of shampoo can cause irritation on sensitive skin.
Along with the water treatments better to unclog the sebaceous gland and anal valve.
Hygiene anal valve
Gland is located on the rear part of the body, after steaming in warm water it liberally smeared baby cream, and after a few minutes wipe with a damp cloth. Then it is possible to carry out the procedure wash the hair with shampoo. Anal valve clean only when necessary — if you can see dirt, there was a specific smell. For cleaning need to put pressure on the lower abdomen and carefully remove the contents of the pocket with a cotton swab dipped in oil. You can then continue to water treatment.
What age can I bathe a Guinea pig
Wash young cavies under the age of six months are prohibited. Their immune system is still too weak, and susceptibility to stress is higher than in adults. Young animals do not tolerate temperature extremes, and even a small draft after bathing can lead to cold complications.
How to dry the Guinea pigs after swimming
Dry hair better with a soft towel. Gently lower the animal and wipe with massaging movements until you are sure that most of the moisture from the wool is removed. Immediately after this, carefully comb the wool, so that it is not tangled and matted.
Sometimes the owners prefer drying with a hair dryer your pet — this method is very fast, but vets recommend to use it only in case if the room temperature falls below 18 degrees. The main danger is that the noise of the hair dryer might scare the pig, and the hot air is to burn or overdry the delicate skin. To use the dryer, choose the lowest temperature and keep the device at enough distance.
After the pig is dried and combed, you can release it in a cage. Be sure to give the animal its favourite food, then the whole procedure will be associated with pleasant sensations, and following bathing of the animal will perceive without alarm.
Shampoo for Guinea pigs
What to wash a Guinea pig — this question is also often baffles inexperienced owners. Can I wash my Guinea pig with regular shampoo or soap? Veterinarians respond negatively — from furry animals too sensitive skin, which easily starts the irritation. Therefore, the wool of these animals are washed only with a special shampoo, who simply. In modern pet stores and veterinary pharmacies a wide range of different options:
- VEDA shampoo "piggy" on the basis of plant components efficiently and glycerin cleanses hair, makes it silky and shiny;
- Agrovetzaschita "fast" is a natural toshimune without perfumes and dyes, is well suited for the sensitive skin of Guinea pigs, has moisturizing and anti-inflammatory effect, facilitates combing of hair;
- IPA-San Royal Groom — a product based on plant ingredients and vitamins to care about problem skin of rodents, actively moisturizes and nourishes it, has bactericidal and wound-healing effect, helps dandruff;
- Beaphar hypoallergenic shampoo ideal for sensitive skin suitable for regular use.
If there are no special shampoo, but the necessity of bathing spicy still allowed bathing with baby shampoo or soap. Constantly doing this is not recommended, as the wrong tool will damage the skin of the pet. But in the case of strong contamination of the hair harm from the lack of washing will be more.
HELP: unlike other furry rodents — chinchillas, Guinea pigs do not bathe in the volcanic sand or talc. These animals are a completely different type of wool. Using sand will only lead to a stronger contamination of the coat will dry and damage the sensitive skin of pigs.
Video: how to bathe a Guinea pig at home
How to clean the ears of a Guinea pig
Simultaneously with the procedure of bathing to clean the ears of Guinea pigs. Contamination of the ear these rodents is common, especially in long-haired breeds. The animal can not clean the ear, closed, long strands, so it quickly accumulates an excess of sulfur. Over time, the pet may lose hearing, also frequently contamination leads to the inflammation of the ear canal. Therefore, the question whether it is necessary to clean the ears of Guinea pigs, veterinarians give an affirmative answer.
In order to properly perform the procedure of ear cleaning is required to do the following:
- Inspect the ear of an animal. Sulfur is immediately noticeable, because in Guinea pigs, it is painted in the same color as the skin. Therefore, the discharge may be yellow, black or orange, dried crust darken.
- If scabs are not visible, you can clean the ears by using chlorhexidine. Soak a cotton swab or a damp cloth and gently wipe the ear.
- If the contamination is chronic and there are crust, must first drip into the ears of the animal special lotion. You can buy it at a pet store or veterinary pharmacy.
- After a little massage your ears and after a few minutes wipe clean.
If the pet escapes and loud beeps when you try to clean the ears, he may have ear infection or ear mites. Then it is better to drip drops of the appropriate veterinary pharmacies — there are drugs universal actions with tick and anti-inflammatory effect.
To reduce the likelihood of concentrations of sulfur, it is recommended to carefully cut long strands, which enclose the ears. Also do not forget about hygienic procedure such as nail trimming.