Like humans, many animals, malaise is expressed in the increase of the body.According to various sources the norm for Guinea pigs:
- 37,2-39,5 ° C;
Given the difference, which is highlighted by competent professionals, of questionable value it is better to discuss with a veterinarian. However, the increase to 39, 6ºС clearly indicates that the pet has a fever, while a lower 37ºС – on the hypothermia induced hypothermia due to improper maintenance pet.
How to measure the temperature of a rodent
To measure the temperature the best e animals of veterinary or medical thermometer. The measurement speed is much faster, and the rodent experiences less discomfort: such a thermometer narrower tip. The preparation for the procedure:
- Handle the tip of the thermometer soaked in alcohol with a cotton swab.
- To wait for drying.
- Lubricate the working part of the thermometer with vaseline.
The measurement process is as follows:
- Pet need to hold and soothe with gentle words.
- Put on his knees, belly up, with the thumb to put a little pressure on the groin.
- Right hand start very carefully enter a thermometer into the rectum.
- Method of administration: the first pressing is held in a vertical position, then the thermometer must be pushed horizontally.
At first it is better to ask someone close to help hold the pet. Because the probable injury of the anus and rectum, the first manipulation should be conducted under the supervision of experienced "swinwood" or the vet.
Measuring time of a conventional thermometer – about 7 minutes. Electronic thermometer an audible signal informs about the result.
Unlike dogs, the nose of Guinea pigs is not true for indicators of body temperature. It can retain moisture even during the difficult period of illness.
How to recognize a fever in your pet
Without having doctors do not recommend to measure the temperature of the rodent. Manipulation is indicated for the symptoms of disease:
- the total change in behavior;
- excessive thirst or, on the contrary, the refusal water;
- loss of appetite.
The animal will try to hide in the dark of the cell.
Methods of first aid
For self-getting rid of the heat from the owner there are only 2 ways:
- give ¼ tablet of aspirin;
- to offer water with a drop of lemon juice.
These measures are temporary, which will help to ease the pig until the vet visit. Take the animal to a clinic is not recommended categorically – the process of transportation may exacerbate the disease. The best option is to call the clinic where there is a service call to a house and ask a doctor. He can do basic procedures, and put a primary diagnosis.
To go to his clinic when the temperature in the Guinea pig reduced. The vet who knows the animal will be able to appoint an adequate diagnosis and treatment.