As a pet, these rodents are very popular, especially among children, but before purchasing it, it is better to know how old the hamsters live at home and how to properly care for it during this period.In rare cases hamsters can live up to 4 years. Life expectancy depends on the breed, so for example, Syrian hamsters live longer.
What to consider when buying
Proper care will extend the life of the hamster, but you should start from the stage of acquisition. There are a few tips:
- You need to buy a very young rodent, preferably from 3 weeks to this point, he was already able to eat by yourself, but could as soon as possible to adjust to new surroundings — an adult hamster will live less what will affect the long adaptation. It is desirable to be able to determine the age of the hamster alone, that would not be deceived when buying;
- Hamsters are extremely susceptible to various diseases, which is not always possible to cure, so when buying you need to check that it was active, nimble, respond quickly to the touch, the coat was smooth, close fit to the body, did not fall to the hole;
- You need to check the eyes should be shiny, clean, tail — dry, and also pay attention to the breath specimen should not rattle;
- It is advisable to purchase an animal at a pet store, as for sale are checked by a veterinary doctor hamsters, which live in the proper conditions it's possible to take the individual with any infection. In a good shop, they even grafted.
The right choice of a hamster when buying it increases the chances of longevity.
How to properly care?
As with any other pet, the main criterion for a good and long life — should care. You must observe the following rules:
- Carefully choose food: know what you can and cannot give the hamster of the products, to buy high-quality feed;
- cage should be spacious, the bars are often located, preferably without paint — it is likely to poison;
- hamsters are not allowed to swim — as they are quite painful, most likely after this procedure, he will develop, which will lead to death. You can put the bowl with the special sand for bathing. Rodent is cleanliness and is able to monitor the cleanliness of the skins alone;
- in the cage should be fun: wheel, ladders and other necessary accessories. Even older hamsters remain active almost to the end of life;
- to clean the cell needs at least once a week, preferably more often: waste — a source of bacteria, which is detrimental to the animal, it must be provided clean water daily and if it's a bowl, not a drinker, the more legs he can bring back the mud;
- the room should be aired, should not be a lot of noise — hamsters are extremely timid creatures.
These are the basic rules. Much still depends on the specific breed. It is advisable to walk with the animals to stroke, but not much, and even speak.
Who lives longer?
As we wrote earlier, as a rule, live longer the Syrian hamster (2.5-3.5 years). The Syrians are more resistant to external influences, to diseases and infections. But the life expectancy of Djungarian unfortunately is only 2-2.5 years.
|Breed||Jungar||Syrian||hamster Campbell||hamster Roborovskogo|
|Life expectancy hamster||2-3 years||3-3. 5 years||2-3 years||2-3. 5 years|