Allergy is a widespread phenomenon that sometimes you have to face the person when communicating with Pets.Is there are allergic to hamsters in children or adults, and how to fight it – tell below, not missing a single beat.
What causes allergies?
There are many opinions about whether to be allergic to hamsters, but often they are the wrong character, because the vast majority of pet owners believe that allergic reactions occur when in contact with the fur of their pet. Veterinarians are also reminded of the biological environment, because urine and saliva of the hamster, including the Junggar, is no less dangerous for Allergy. In the external skin and in the saliva of dogs and cats contains protein, causing a high sensitivity from allergies with all the consequences. Hamsters are somewhat different: are allergic to any of Junggar and other rodents provoked by the protein contained in urine, saliva, sweat glands and on the skin scales of the animal.
It is worth noting that Syrian hamsters with their fellows are not hypoallergenic. Even different breeds of hairless rodents can lead to the development of allergic reactions. Intending to have a pet, it is early to determine whether there is allergic to hamsters adult or child with whom he will live.
An examination in specialized medical centre, where you will be asked to do sensitivity test. The procedure is unpleasant, but effective. In the span from the elbow to the wrist on the inner side of the hand the doctor holds the scraper, creating small scratches, which causes a drop of the allergen. The wait lasts about 20-30 minutes, then hand inspect and install the allergic risks. A small swelling or reddened skin on the location of the samples indicate a positive reaction, but because of the hamster should be abandoned or removed if it has already been purchased.
On the causes of the development of allergies
Among the common causes of allergic reactions to Djungarian, Syrian hamsters and other species, we can mention:
- a weakened immune system;
- the development of a genetic factors;
- individual intolerance;
- the presence of chronic diseases;
- contact with saliva, urine and skin scales of the animal.
Often allergenic effects to the baby, who spends a lot of time with the hamster, as opposed to an adult. Sometimes hamsters during the active game, or nabegavshis, bite the owner, opening an allergen free way into the bloodstream with subsequent development of Allergy symptoms.
It is important to note that the child in most cases, allergies occur on Jungaria. The reason lies in the cleanliness of the breed, its beauty and the absence of odors that attracts potential owners and operators. Due to the imaginary hypoallergenic many buyers do not think about possible risks that can lead to the development reactions in the child and adult.
Incorrect assumptions about the disease, symptoms of which are caused by the fur of a hamster, does not find confirmation in practice. The bulk of the allergens contained in the urine and saliva of rodents, in contrast to common cats or dogs. For this reason, gungari or any other hamster, including the Syrian, may not be hypoallergenic. Despite this fact, people do not often think before you buy animal, can be allergic to hamsters have his child until faced with the first symptoms.
Provoking protein entering the human body, activates the immune system, which immediately tries to attack the pathogen. At this point there is making and getting into the blood stream of a substance called "histamine" that causes unpleasant symptoms in the form of a causeless cough or sneeze. The most dangerous manifestation of the body can become anaphylactic shock, which begins with irritation of the skin, then proceeds to vomit urge, swelling and labored breathing.
Allergic to hamsters: symptoms
Reaction to hamsters in symptoms virtually indistinguishable from other types of allergies, since at the initial stage affects the skin and respiratory system of man. The clinical picture, typical symptoms look like this:
- red skin around the eyes;
- marked lacrimation;
- allergic rhinitis;
- difficult breathing becomes rasping;
- possible signs of suffocation;
- dry cough accompanied by sneezing;
- General weakness of the body;
- appears headache and joint pain;
- small eruptions on the skin;
- severe skin itching.
Rapid and severe progression of symptoms of Allergy can lead to anaphylactic shock or Quincke edema that is drawing the paralysis of the respiratory muscles. The critical state is very life-threatening and require immediate medical assistance.
Especially need to be careful for people with asthma range of diseases, since it is unknown how it can appear allergic to the hamster in this situation.
If you notice any signs of Allergy, do not delay your visit to the doctor, because timely assistance of an allergist or dermatologist will contribute to the rapid diagnosis and the necessary therapy. Preferably in the same day to find a new rodent owners and not to go near the source of the disease. Remember, during therapy and after hamster also can cause allergies.
How to cure Allergy on rodents
How to get rid of allergies to various hamsters, can tell special diagnosis based on laboratory tests, and information from the medical history and visual examination by your doctor. Only full complex of medical actions allows to map individual treatment that will help to get rid of the consequences of allergies. Don't forget about the need to prevent contact with allergenic hamsters, including to be in the same room with the rodent. Try to find quickly for new pet owners, then the recovery is significantly faster.
Drug therapies include:
- Take antihistamines to relieve swelling and reduce itching. Often, the doctor will prescribe efficient funds like "Telfast" or "Claritin", which are well tolerated by the body without causing of side effects. Do not self-medicate, since the dosage must be calculated on individual parameters taking into account the age and weight of the person.
- To enhance immune protection is recommended to take immunomodulators "Timolin", "Likopid", "Dering" and a number of other drugs. Appointment can appear in the form of aerosols, drops for the eyes and nose. Often immune substances recommended for use even after recovery, in order to strengthen the immune system that helps to prevent recurrence of the Allergy.
- To help the body more efficiently eliminate toxins, recommend taking chelators, which are part of activated charcoal or "Lingin". The therapeutic effect of drugs significantly lowers pronounced signs of allergies in children and adults.
- In severe cases, treatment with hormonal drugs like "Prednisone" or "Cetirizine" to quickly get rid of the negative symptoms. Hormonal substances are not suitable for long-term treatment, because they have a lot of side effects, but people with allergies will be useful to replenish the medicine chest one of the drugs for emergency cases.
Treatment of this unpleasant disease successfully specific immunotherapy (SIT therapy), with which the body is trained according to the method of microscopic injection of the allergen, gradually increasing their concentration. Experience shows a high percentage of positive results with a long period of remission. The special therapy only under the supervision of the attending physician and in the amount of 2-3 courses to come to a stable result.
Depending on the degree of the manifested symptoms, the physician prescribes antipyretics drugs, and the development of pain prescribe analgesics and antispasmodics.
Allergy to hamster not always forcing the owners to part with their pet, so in such a situation it is necessary to consider a number of preventive techniques that will help as painless as possible to communicate with the rodent. So:
- Upon completion of the feeding, or after cleaning the hamster cage should be thoroughly wash hands well and disinfect all exposed areas of the body. This can be done with the help of special tools or antibacterial soap. Not long to go near the pet.
- For 2-3 times regularly ventilate the room where the cage with the rodent. Preferably every day to clean the dust and wet cleaning deal.
- While cleaning the cage, pay attention to the sanitary zone of the hamster, which must be washed with special care.
- Possible care for a hamster is better to entrust the family member who is not allergic.
Not ignoriruete observance of prevention rules when dealing with a rodent, since protective measures will not only help to prevent the development of symptoms, but in some cases, to avoid unpleasant symptoms. If in compliance with the required measures of the Syrian hamster or rodent other breed has caused an allergic reaction, immediately seek medical assistance. Conducted time study and medical therapy will save you from heavy impacts, while maintaining good health.