Question – how dangerous the hamsters many people may seem silly and even ridiculous.Can you get a hamster from any disease and how to keep these furry animals to protect themselves and all household members from infection?
What you can catch from hamsters
Even the most careful care of miniature pet is not a guarantee that he will throughout his life will remain healthy and active. Sometimes the infection can get into the body of the animal from poor quality feed or sawdust, which the owner uses as bedding for pet cages.
There are frequent cases when a rodent enters the house, being infected, because most of the diseases at the early stages did not manifest itself and people are not even aware that their pet is suffering from an infectious disease.
But not all hamsters diseases dangerous to humans. There are only a few infectious diseases that can be transmitted from these furry rodents:
- Hamsters exposed to such serious and dangerous diseases as tuberculosis, which is airborne. Therefore, during prolonged contact with sick pet for the owner there is a considerable risk of Contracting tuberculosis;
- Not only cats are carriers of toxoplasmosis, of hamsters can also be infected with this disease. Toxoplasmosis is particularly dangerous for pregnant women, so in this period they must cease any contact with Pets;
- To infect its owner miniature pet can also listeriosis, a disease affecting the human nervous system. The animal affected with this disease has problems with coordination and balance, especially when the pet is running in the wheel or maze;
- Among the dangerous diseases that can be transmitted from hamster to man can be identified and lymphocytic choriomeningitis. To determine what rodent is suffering this disease can be such symptoms: animal becomes lethargic, refuses to eat, and his limbs shaken by spasms;
- Tularemia is another potentially dangerous disease that is carried by rodents, including hamsters;
- Exposed to these animals and dermatological diseases such as ringworm or dermatosis, which can get the owner in contact with a sick pet.
Are hamsters a danger to children
Parents do not always dare to buy for your child a dog or a cat, for fear that the animal might harm him. And, as an alternative, buy baby Djungarian and Syrian hamsters, believing that the tiny rodents are not children in danger.
But before you give your child a hamster, parents should weigh their decision, as not all these animals are harmless and harmless.
If the child was not yet five years to purchase him as a pet hamster is not recommended. Indeed, despite the fact that these cute creatures are quite friendly, they can bite the baby, if it will scare them or accidentally cause the animal pain. Such bites are dangerous because the wound can become inflamed due to trapped infection, if not timely treating the affected area with antiseptic.
Also rodents are carriers of various parasites, such as helminths and can infect their child.
Small children after contact with a pet not always wash their hands and put dirty fingers in the mouth, which increases the risk of infestation.
Miniature gungari or fluffy Syrian hamster will make a perfect pet for children of school age. The child will not only gain a great friend, but learns the responsibility of taking care of this sweet creature.
Can cats or dogs catch a disease from a hamster
If in the house, except hamsters and other live animals, owners are concerned with the question whether rodents to infect anything a cat or dog.
Fearing that the kitten or puppy will catch an infectious disease from domestic rodent not worth it. All diseases that affect these animals are not dangerous for other Pets.
Even if a cat eats infected with rabies hamster, it will not become infected with this dangerous disease, as the virus of rabies is transmitted through bite. With the exception of those cases when a cat's mouth was open sores, and they got the blood of a sick rodent.
Prevention: how to prevent infection
To protect yourself and your loved ones from infectious diseases, which are carriers of hamsters, you should remember a few basic rules when their content:
- To buy a furry pet, preferably only from breeders or in pet shops with a good reputation. Buying of animal in the market, the owner may buy infected animal;
- When selecting a hamster , it is recommended to pay attention to its appearance and behavior. Patients hamsters dull scruffy coat, swollen eyes, and they were sluggish and lethargic;
- It is necessary to watch cleanliness in the home of the favorite and time to clean up the dirty litter. So the owner will not only get rid of unpleasant smell from the cell, but also reduce the risk of falling into the animal body of infection;
- Feed the rodent should only high-quality food. Stale and rotten grain can cause hamsters to various diseases;
- When cleaning the cage, the owner should always wear gloves as you can become infected not only by contact with the animal, but also through his feces.
It is not necessary to give up the pleasure of communicating with the tiny fluffy hamster just because of the fact that there is a possibility of infecting him with any disease. After all, if you properly care and take care of the little creature and pay sufficient attention to it, the comic animal will always be pleasing to the owner activity, health and well-being.