Among the various items and accessories at pet stores you can see a variety of houses for chinchillas.A separate house just need the DOE, which hibernate. New mommy in need of personal home, where she will looks to take care of their offspring.
As for the place of installation of this accessory, then it is placed in the least lit corner of the cell. Chinchilla, as a rule, sleep during the day and it is important that the house in the daytime was dim.
Important: for greater reliability and stability of the house should be put on the bottom of the cage. If the owner wants to install a home on a shelf or hanging to buy a house, it should be carefully attached to the branches so the rodent with him did not fall and get hurt.
Types, forms and types of houses for chinchillas
For production houses often use wood, but produce such accessories made of ceramic or plastic. Sometimes you can see the original housing for rodents, are made of straw or twine.
But the most popular houses among the owners of furry Pets remain still wooden houses as straw, plastic and rope products are long.
As regards the shape, the houses can be round, triangular, oval and rectangular. Homes for chinchillas made in the form of village huts, medieval castles and even Indian tepees.
Which model to choose depends on personal preferences and financial capabilities.
And before you offer little pet this accessory, you should know what criteria should guide the choice of a dwelling:
- the size of the house selected on the basis of the size of a rodent. Chinchilla should easily fit in your home and not feel uncomfortable because of tightness;
- the design should not include small holes, which can get stuck to the foot of the animal;
- it is advisable to choose a product with multiple Windows that in the house penetrated a sufficient fresh air;
- better to buy a home for a chinchilla without a bottom because it is easier to clean;
- the roofs of the houses in the form of pointed domes are beautiful and original, but unsafe for Pets. A curious rodent climbed on a roof, can it to slip and be injured. Therefore it is better to choose a design with a flat top;
- house for chinchillas should not contain small parts which the animal can swallow (nails, screws).
Important: if the cell contains a few furry Pets, it is necessary for each animal to purchase a separate housing, or fights between animals can not be avoided.
House for chinchilla wood: advantages and disadvantages
Often the furry rodent cage equipped with wooden house. Accessories made of wood are inexpensive, accessible and diverse in form and type designs. Homes made of this material can be of two - and three-storey. Some of them feature balconies and porches which makes the pieces more interesting and decorative look. You can also choose the house that is equipped with ladders and running wheels, which saves space in the cage.
But the selection of wooden home for your small pet should be treated seriously and carefully, because the products of this material have both advantages and disadvantages.
The main advantages include:
- accessibility. The wooden pet houses are available in wide range, and each owner will be able to choose a subject to your taste;
- cheap price. The cost of wood products is relatively low, and therefore will not require the owner of a significant financial expenditure;
- easy to care for them. Cleaning wooden homes do not require much effort, once a week to clean the house with a brush and wipe all parts with a damp cloth;
- great choice. Produce wooden houses of various shapes and sizes, so that each customer could choose the product according to your taste.
The disadvantages of such products:
- often chinchilla spoil the house with my teeth and owners often have to change a damaged accessory with a new one;
- the wood absorbs odors and, if the animal suddenly begin to mark the house with their urine, the product will have to be discarded;
- some houses are very light and not stable, so there is a risk that the animal will tilt on yourself or your neighbor in the cell;
- wooden houses sometimes varnish. If a chinchilla eats the house and the varnish goes into the body, the possible case of poisoning, sometimes fatal;
- the same applies to the glue, which wooden walls of the house are bonded to each other. Swallowing glue, animal risk to get diseases of the gastrointestinal tract and then without the help of a veterinarian to do;
- choosing a wooden house for the chinchilla, make sure that all the parts carefully polished. Otherwise, the rodent will cling on notch, pulling the shreds of his coat.
Important: if the animal did not appreciate the gift of the owner and refuses to even go into a new wooden house, you should check if it is too strong or unpleasant odor.
Ceramic house for chinchilla: pros and cons
Ceramics are not so popular among lovers of rodents, such as wood accessories. But still, some owners choosing a home for a furry pet, opt for a ceramic house.
Made in the form of castles, towers, pumpkin, or mushrooms, houses made of ceramic look like real works of art, but, as in the case of wood products, they also have disadvantages.
The advantages of ceramic houses:
- accessories of clay, beautiful to look at and will be a perfect decoration of the interior of the cage a small animal;
- houses of ceramics is quite heavy and stable, so the animals will not be able to turn them over;
- ceramic housing will last longer than wooden or plastic accessories, because the chinchilla can't chew;
- it is easy to clean and cleaning it will not take much time;
- inside the ceramic house is always cool, so in summer the animal it will be especially comfortable.
Among the minuses can be noted:
- clay houses are considered to be rare, and you can buy them in every pet store;
- such accessories are most often made to order, and for ceramic product owner will have to pay a considerable amount;
- sometimes home ceramic cover poor chemical glaze that gives off harmful to the body animal toxins.
How to make a house for chinchillas with their hands
Some owners prefer to personally make a house for your pet. Indeed, in this case the owner not only selects safe materials, but also can come up with a unique and exclusive model homes for the furry animal.
What materials and tools you will need:
- the wooden planks thickness 1,5 cm;
- sander or sandpaper;
- pencil and ruler;
- dowels for furniture.
If the owner decided to make a complex multi-storey construction, it is first necessary to sketch drawings for future house on a sheet of paper. But for a more simple model can be directly applied layout for the selected Board and start cutting out parts.
First option: the production of simple wooden house
How to make a house:
- For rodent housing should be spacious, so first calculate the size of the house, measured drawing outlines with a pencil. Approximate size of house for a chinchilla average size 270mm*180mm*156mm.
- Cut the walls and roof.
- On the front wall draw the silhouettes of the entrance and the window. You can make the Windows and side walls.
- Holes are cut along the planned path.
- Edge prepared parts are sanded, sawn including Windows and entrance so that they become flat and smooth.
- To not use glue in the walls and the roof drill holes for the dowels.
- Fasten all the parts together with dowels.
- A gift for the animal is almost ready, it remains only to wipe it with a cloth dampened with water, to which add a few drops of alcohol or vinegar to disinfect.
- Housing then dried and aired and put the house in a cage of your beloved pet.
- To the house was longer you can upholster it with metal, as the chinchilla definitely will gnaw it.
Second option: the production of a two-storey house
Based on the first way you can make a two-storey house. This will build a house larger than in the previous example, and a smaller one and connect them.
Third option: making the cabin in the form of an arch
For it we need:
- a sheet of plywood with a thickness of 2 cm;
- a small plank width of 3 cm and a thickness of 2 cm;
- the ruler and compass;
Instructions for making:
- On a sheet of plywood with a compass draw a circle with a radius of 14-16 see
- We cut a circle and cut it into two equal parts. It will be the rear and to the front wall.
- On the front we cut the window and door.
- Grind the edges of parts.
- Reiki is cut into pieces long to see 18-20 Grind.
- Drill otwarte drilled for the dowels on the rails and along the circumference on the walls. The distance between the holes 3, respectively, see
- Collect the product.
Important: chinchilla can try your new home "to the tooth", so the production house can not use the oak wood. The bark of this tree contain tannins, which once in the body of a rodent would cause severe diarrhea.
Video: how to make a house for chinchillas with their hands
Chinchilla love secluded places and if they have nowhere to hide, can get sick and even depressed. Private cozy cottage will become a favorite place for rest and sleep furry pet, and the animal will be forever grateful to the owner for such a gift.