Chinchillas are a neat furry Pets, has earned recognition from many fans of exotic animals.Parasitic insects can dwell on the different types of Pets to enter the apartment from the cellars and the sewers. A small animal can get through the filler, the hay, contact with infected Pets, most often dogs and cats, even affectionately the owner sometimes brings home parasites on clothing or hands.
Symptoms of infection by parasites
Infection of various parasitic insects accompanied by similar clinical picture:
- chinchilla is constantly scratching the skin to the blood and biting themselves due to the constant itching from the bites of parasites;
- observed breakage and hair loss on the limbs and the head, where the density of the fur is less;
- in severe cases are formed extensive foci of hair loss and bleeding sores on the skin, accompanied by severe edema and suppurative inflammation.
The lack of treatment may cause the development of anemia, exhaustion and blood poisoning up to lethal outcome.
The main parasites of chinchillas
Chinchillas can parasitize several species of insects.
Blood-sucking small insects are black with flattened on two sides body size of 2-5 mm. a flea is able to jump far enough to latch on to the fur of the animal tenacious claws. Affected chinchilla rat, rabbit or cat fleas, which are able to change the owner.
If furry animal became restless, intensely itchy, the skin, the ears, muzzle and limbs are formed of skin growths in the form of warts insect bites, there is a loss of fur, the chinchilla can be fleas.
The host can detect insects, resembling black specks, when moving apart the fur of a pet.
Lice and vlasiei
Small parasitic insects gray with pear-shaped elongated body with a size of about 0.5 mm. to Detect adult parasites only under a microscope. Lice only feed on blood, chinchilla, necessary for procreation, and vlasiei – the top layer of the epidermis and blood. Parasitism is accompanied by severe itching and restlessness of the animal.
Lice and vlasiei on the body of a small mammal reproduce very quickly, females lay white eggs-nits, securely gluing them to the fur of the animal. Nits resemble dandruff are white, which is impossible to remove from the coat of a pet.
Mites rarely impress furry animals, the chinchillas meet subcutaneous mites that are parasitic in the upper layer of the skin and ear mites, a favorite place of parasitism of the latter is the skin of the ear and nose.
The infestation of mites is accompanied by itching and the formation of scratches on the body furry animals.
Subcutaneous mites found on microscopic examination of a scraping of skin, the owner can notice the paws, the head or under the tail of the pet convex swollen red bumps from insect bites. If the chinchilla peel the ears, on the skin of the ears and nose appears reddish-yellow cork, and suspected contamination of domestic animal ear mites.
How to get rid of parasites
Often, owners of exotic rodents, not knowing what to do if chinchilla fleas, lice or ticks trying to treat furry Pets common medicinal sprays, drops or powder for dogs and cats. Such treatment may result in the poisoning of small pet with incorrect calculation of dosage drugs. Treat your chinchilla is preferably carried out under the control of the veterinary surgeon to confirm the diagnosis and assess the overall condition of the animal. When parasitizing insects is appointed:
- wearing special pet flea collar for cats or miniature dogs;
- cleaning and disinfection of cages furry rodent, and the entire apartment for the destruction of parasitic insects;
- change of litter, litter and sand chinchilla.
To prevent the infection from chinchillas parasites
To prevent infection of chinchillas ectoparasites are advised to observe preventive measures:
- to purchase hay and fillers is necessary only in specialized shops;
- be washed daily and regularly disinfected the cage and the point of walking chinchillas;
- to arrange a one month quarantine new Pets before introduction into the enclosure;
- wash your hands and change to street clothes before socializing with your chinchilla.
Ectoparasites cause severe discomfort small rodent are carriers of infectious diseases.
When the itch, the sores scratching and anxiety in a domestic animal, it is urgent to find out why chinchilla itches, and to take measures for speedy deliverance furry pet from parasitic creatures.
Hair loss, baldness can also be a symptom of stress, boredom, no special temperature conditions, allergies and other diseases.